Reply To: BA Cabin Crew Strike – Consolidated Thread

Back to Forum

continentalclub
Participant

Received by email a moment ago:

A message from CEO, Willie Walsh

I wanted to update you on what we propose to do in the event that a strike does go ahead.

Unite, the union that represents our BA cabin crew, has not as yet announced any strike dates.

It must tell us by 15 March whether a strike will happen and it cannot go on strike without first giving us seven days notice of the first day.

In the meantime we continue to have talks with Unite and we want to resolve the issues between us.

I want to reassure you that a strike will not ground British Airways. We have had nearly 6,000 volunteers in total to support our flying programme, including nearly 1,000 who have trained as cabin crew and the number is growing.

We have been putting plans into place and although we cannot announce the precise schedule we will operate until we know for sure what Unite would do, I can tell you what our plans are.

We will operate all our flights from London City airport, including long-haul services to New York.

We will operate all our long-haul schedule at London Gatwick, and about half of our short-haul schedule.

At London Heathrow, we will operate a substantial proportion of our long-haul programme and a good number of short-haul flights too, assisted by chartered aircraft with crews from a number of UK and European-based airlines. We have at least 23 aircraft available to us over an extended period.

All BA CityFlyer, codeshare and franchise flights will continue to operate as normal.

We have also arranged to secure seats from other carriers, so thousands more of you can reach your chosen destinations.

At this stage our plans do not include crew at London Heathrow who may choose to work normally. More than 4,000 of all crew did not vote for strike action.

I would like to thank you for standing by us in recent weeks. Despite all the uncertainty Unite has created since it announced its ballot in January, passenger numbers for February were actually higher than a year ago, and our premium traffic rose for the first time in 18 months.

Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription

To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below

Polls