Well, here’s my rant for today – only because this make NO sense to me at all….
Gale force winds in Leeds meant that the BA 0925 to LHR was cancelled.
I was booked the following day, on the 0925 to connect with a BA flight to ORD.
Knowing we were due gale force winds the following day, and having seen this flight cancelled before, I thought it best to be proactive and call the Gold line to make a change to the LBA flight.
IF the LBA is cancelled as i arrive at the airport, there is NO opportunity to make the connection in LHR – it’s too late to get to MAN for example so I would be stuck.
I call the gold line and ask if I can travel instead, the day before, on the afternoon flight because its 90% certain that the morning flight will be cancelled and I can see tickets on sale (BA.com) for £75.
I explain that I am quite happy to book myself a new ticket and into a hotel at LHR and pay myself, I also explain that there is no chance of me making the connection if the flight is cancelled in the morning.
“not sure we can allow that” she says, “they will cancel the onward as a ‘no show”….. So I tell her again, “all I want BA to do is to protect my ORD flight – nothing more nothing less”
“I am being proactive, trying to prevent an issue in the morning, at my own expense and you can’t even protect my connection?”
“I will have to ask a supervisor” she tells me…. Meantime, with time running out, I book a One way LBA to LHR and a taxi to the airport….
After 20 mins on hold with BA, my cab arrives and I leave for the airport so I am cut off.
Arriving at LBA, I ask a Servisair clerk what can be done to ‘protect’ my ORD flight – she tells me – “easy, it will take 3 mins” and it did!!
Sure enough, in the morning, (now in an LHR hotel) an SMS from BA telling me the 0925 from LBA is cancelled and please contact them.
Why do they have to make it so difficult??
Their answer should have been “yes, don’t worry, it’s taken care of” instead of the standard – “not sure we can allow that”
If I hadn’t been as proactive, I would have missed my connection and BA would not have been able to resolve on the day!