Reply To: Why do they do that?!Create Topic

DavidGordon10
Participant

I like the idea of a rant thread. I am particularly well qualified to contribute (ask Mrs DG) but I will restrict myself to one rant.

Why is everything associated with UK immigration so cack-handed? For today, I will leave out the inadequate staffing of immigration desks, the loss of Iris, and the woeful e-passport readers, and concentrate on the pre-boarding check at the other end.

What is the point of this? When I pass through the gate and onto the airbridge at CDG, say, there is a boy from some security company half way down the ramp who has to check my passport and boarding card again? Why? Why is the check at the gate not enough? At GVA it is before you go through the gate (where, at the gate, the same things are checked again). At FRA it can lead to a chaotic muddle as the crowd round tha gate tries to work out where it is going. Why check things twice, why not make the one check that can be automated (where the barcode on the boarding card is read, and the passport can be swiped) efficient and definitive?

And then, there are some mainland Europe airports where this double check doesn’t happen as you board a UK-bound flight. But I am not going to say where, in case some looney decides to clamp down there as well.

I know it is to prevent terrorism. Interesting how most terrorist acts in Western Europe are perpetrated by those born and bred in the country concerned.