Reply To: The Ten Commandments for Avoiding and Managing Lost Luggage

Back to Forum

LuganoPirate
Participant

Dear SSTBeliever, I agree with Marytn, but perhaps I could go one step further.

I travel with old hard shell Samsonite’s. These are virtually indestructible and so battered and scratched that further damage is not really noticeable. They also float! Some years ago when transferring the baggage to a boat, the trolley fell in the water. My two bags floated and were quickly picked up – and the contents were all dry. Everyone else’s sank!

Secondly, and this is perhaps a terrible thing to say, but you did get your bag. Perhaps this is the coward’s way, but is it really worth the time and hassle you are spending on this. Cost the damage out over the number of flights you have taken, and I would think the cost is very low.

Shrugging it off and letting them get away with it, will reduce your blood pressure and leave you more time to do other more practical things.

Finally, blacklisting BA will in the end only inconvenience yourself. BA and QF have a revenue sharing agreement, and flying Emirates or their ilk will mean an inconvenient and, probably, middle of the night transfer.

So in the end, give it to your insurance, buy a Samsonite (or other hard shelled case) and look forward to all that 2011 will bring 😉

Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription

To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below

Polls