Reply To: The Ten Commandments for Avoiding and Managing Lost Luggage

Back to Forum

LuganoPirate
Participant

I agree VK, perhaps this thread should be re-visited.

A couple of points from my perspective. I usually wrap my bags in plastic to protect them from damage/pilfering and find it best to do this off airport if possible as it’s half the price. Many car rental and off airport parking now offer this service.

If you have any status with the airline, or are flying premium, insist the check-in personnel put on the priority handling tags. They sometimes forget to do this and need “gently” reminding.

Miles and More and Virgin have baggage tags with just your name and membership number. These are very handy, quite solid (I’ve only lost one) and do not give away your address. The Senator ones are in a red leather pouch and when I called for some extra they sent me 4 without any problem at all.

Finally, if traveling with family and checking in together, make sure someone notes which baggage tag applies to which piece of luggage. This is invaluable if you should lose two pieces. We name our bags “big red”, small red”, “big yellow” etc so it’s usually just a mater of writing “BR” or whichever on the receipt.

Magazine Subscription
BTUK September 2017
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription

To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below

Polls