Reply To: Where has the Club World service gone?

Back to Forum

Bath_VIP
Participant

I am coming late to this debate but recently it occurred to me that there are strong parallels between BA and my football club Newcastle United.

For those who don’t know, NUFC are owned by Mike Ashley who owns Sports Direct, a billion pound worth chain of sports shops. Since he bought the club, it is now clear to all Magpies that he intends to run the club as he runs his business that pays its way, keeps its costs low and is a viable long term business. Being successful in terms of winning trophies is not a priority for him and it is a matter of public record that they are not interested in the cup tournaments. The public target is that the club finishes 10th or higher in each season in the Premier League.

NUFC are one the best supported clubs in the world (let alone England) so this lack of ambition is hugely frustrating for many supporters including me. In effect, all Mike Ashley is offering me is a day out to see an average team play for a reasonable price in decent facilities and nothing more. Yet I want more than that but history shows that many football clubs have gone bust from seeking glory.

Based on my experiences with BA and what I hear on this forum, my description of BA would identical to NUFC. Yet I am a happy bunny with BA but not with NUFC. The reason is that all I want from BA is something that is more comfortable than Economy travel long haul for a reasonable price. Over the last two years, I have made 8 trips with BA/AA to Texas & US West Coast of which 6.5 were in Business and 1.5 in Premium Economy. The total cost to me (including airport transfers and airport hotels) has varied between £1000 and £1600 per trip for an average cost of £1370. So clearly BA have more than met my needs.

The moral of this is what do you want BA to be? A champions league team, mid table or lower league team? It all depends on your personal requirements and mid table suits me fine.

Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription

To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below

Polls