Reply To: Where has the Club World service gone?

Back to Forum

AllOverTheGaff
Participant

rferguson – 09/01/2015 12:33 GMT
This however does not seem to have stifled competition at all and I definitely do not see a barrier to entrants. EK operates FIVE A380’s per day from LHR to DXB direct. Significantly more frequencies than from any other european airport to DXB. And yet, BA still manages to fill 2-3 aircraft per day to DXB. In fact, despite the huge number of EK/EY/QR flights to LHR again dwarfing any of these airlines operations to other cities european or otherwise, BA has not withdrawn from one middle eastern route.

That might be part of the issue though, albeit we’re drifting a wee bit from the BA not being up to snuff thread.

In addition to EK’s 5 x LHR to DXB flights, you must also factor in the below:

GLA – DXB x 2 daily
NCL – DXB – 1 daily
MAN – DXB – 2 daily (A380’s)
BHX – DXB – 1 daily
LGW – DXB – 3 daily (one A380)

Makes 9 aircraft going to Dubai on a daily basis in addition to the 5 from LHR, if you are prepared to travel some 40 minutes to Dublin, as I have in the past, there are 2 further flights.

So, that makes at least 14 daily returns to Dubai from the UK that BA (and other airlines) do not compete with. So, “holding one’s own” at LHR is fine and dandy, but then the other airlines have come in to ‘regional’ airports and taken huge swathes of business, from my neck of the woods I can also fly direct to the USA twice a day, to Doah with Qatar and to Abu Dhabi with Etihad. I know Qatar & Etihad also feature from many of the aforementioned airports too. Karl Marx’s point about BA being far too London-centric rings true with me, and not being from that part of the world, it makes no difference to me that they have strong routes and schedules – however – due to the density of the population in London, and BA’s dominant position, it is easy to see why they are filling planes.

I accept your point entirely about people still choosing to fly with BA and that their planes are full, indeed it is clear to see that BA’s profits are also on the up. None of that detracts from the poor service one receives on board though. It is my opinion (and one I note shared by you) that practically every other major airline, and many smaller ones too offer a far superior service and hard product, BA won my last transatlantic routing due to a particularly competitive fare, I suspect a lot of these full flights are with passengers who also enjoy these ‘sales’. BA are in danger of becoming the DFS of airlines with sales every other week, but, these sales are genuine and they do lead to big savings.

Lastly, there will be many, like me, who don’t really care about when BA finally enter this millennium and offer better seating – we’ll all have moved away, have loyalty cards with other airlines and be more loyal to those airlines by the time BA has caught up….there have been an awful lot of ‘false starts’ with BA and how they are back on the ascendancy, at this stage, for me personally, new seating won’t tempt me back to BA it’d take an awful lot more than that.

Rgds.
AOTG.

Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription

To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below

Polls