Reply To: Where has the Club World service gone?

Back to Forum

RussShaw6
Participant

I would also add BA First to the Club World Service issue in this thread. In December I flew BA First from LHR-SFO-LHR. I normally fly UA Global First (which I think now has a very good product plus the benefit of flying to/from the fantastic T2), but the price of the BA First ticket (heavily reduced) gave me the idea to try it as I had not flown BA First for a few years.

And what a disappointment. Not that the flights were dreadful, the service and the food was mediocre at best…and the IFE is inferior to all other long-haul carriers. The lounges at LHR are great but the First lounge at SFO was dreadful. Both flights were late in departing. And to the points raised here, there was really nothing special about the experience.

So, for transatlantic long-haul premium, I will continue with UA.

I also recently flew Qatar (QR) this past month from LHR-DOH-MLE return, and I have to say the business class on QR is so much better than Club World. Food was very good and the IFE was much much better (although the UX on one of the flights was ‘clunky’); staff were very pleasant and cabins and toilets were spotless. The return leg from DOH to LHR was on an older 340-600, and it felt a bit tired, but QR is adding so many new planes that this will be less of an issue…And all flights were on time and the transfer in DOH was very smooth (and the ticket price in business was significantly less than LHR-MLE on BA). Because I connected in Doha, I received double the tier points, too, with QR now being in One World.

I really hope that BA takes this feedback on board. They have the potential to be a really great airline, but I think they are not looking after their premium passengers. With the price of fuel dropping so radically, the profits will flow, and they should think about how they can compete with the Middle East carriers, and now, more surprisingly with US carriers like UA and DL who are getting their act together quickly (at least on international routes)

Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription

To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below

Polls