Reply To: Obnoxious kids in Business Class

Back to Forum

Binman62
Participant

rickasia,,,,,. I too understood your post entirely but I fear your may have misunderstood mine.

I have flown for 30 years on work and leisure and have had wonderfully memorable experiences on aircraft and for the most part, have been fortunate to do so in the comfort or First Class and occasionally Club.

I now travel predominately for pleasure and with two children, and have done since they were infants. I have been able to continue to travel in First and Club and consider myself fortunate to do so. I also pay for my own fare and that of my family.

In paying for my ticket I am entitled to seat and a level of service commensurate with the fare I have paid. I am not entitled to be abusive, drunk, obnoxious or unpleasant and my children are not entitled to run amok.

My children are however just that, Children, they are not little angels and I do not expect them to sit silently or still for hours on end. They are set clear limits and I will intervene if they go beyond them.

In my view airlines have a role to play in keeping young children occupied and entertained and I have been critical and continue to be critical of carriers who seem unable or unwilling to meet the needs of kids, especially in premium cabins. For example they still get adult cutlery, table clothes, mini salt cellars and glasses to accompany food that you often would not get served in a school canteen!

In flight entertainment has improved but head phone for kids are rare indeed and the use of oddly shaped connectors means they cannot use their own.

Airlines need to remember that kids cannot simply drink themselves to sleep and pass out for 6 hours on a day light flight across the Atlantic.

In 30 years of travel the vast majority of bad experiences on aircraft have been caused by adults who were abusive, drunk, obnoxious or unpleasant. From those who snore to those who are strangers to deodorant and soap, even in First Class. It can and has made the journey difficult at times but I need to keep reminding myself that flying no matter the cabin, is no different to the London Underground or a no 9 bus, it is public transport and as such I need to deal with my fellow human beings and all their faults and failings and they mine. That includes dealing with crying infants and children and if I do not like it then I need to find an alternative form of transport. For some, that might mean buying a private plane.

Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription

To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below

Polls