Reply To: Waldorf Astoria New YorkCreate Topic

Home Forums Accommodation Hotels Waldorf Astoria New York Reply To: Waldorf Astoria New York

rferguson
Participant

I had a long weekend in NYC in April and we divided our time between the Barclay Intercontinental and the Waldorf Astoria (they are literally across the road from each other).

First, I think it’s worth mentioning that while the WA may not be what it once was, neither are it’s prices. I scored an amazing rate of US$219 per night which was on par with some of the Holiday Inn’s etc in Manhattan.

I must say my expectations from the WA were not that high. I was expecting a faded princess with grand public areas and somewhat neglected beyond that. How wrong I was. I loved my stay. I didn’t encounter any significant lines or crowds (except for the hotel bar in the evening). Everything from the elevators to the corridors were maintained to a very high standard with that type of carpet so thick you almost bounce off. I found attention to detail very high.

I have Hilton Gold status and was upgraded to a beautiful HUGE corner room. Yes, decor was very ‘traditional’ and may not be to everyones taste. Yet all the mod cons were there (bar Tea/Coffee facilities – a pet hate) and I found service to be good. None of this vile OTT lingering for tips and what not.

I really look forward to returning there again.

I cannot say the same for the Intercontinental though.