Reply To: Food poisioning at 5 Star European hotel

Back to Forum

Globalti
Participant

Lightweights! This used to happen to me on EVERY visit to the Sheraton in Lagos in the 90s. Since I was always careful to respect the rules and avoid salads, undercooked meat, ice cream, tap water etc. I narrowed it down to the slices of pawpaw and pineapple they were preparing for breakfasts, probably on a filthy chopping board with dirty knives and water. I stopped eating the fruit and the problem stopped. On one ocasion though the pool bar did serve me a chicken dish that was so rank that just sniffing the first forkful made me feel ill; it was absolutely humming and I couldn’t believe the chef had actually cooked it and served it – which says a lot about food hygiene standards in Africa. Things are better at Sheraton now and I haven’t come home with shigella or anything else for several years despite becoming more adventurous with the food – except ice cream, which nearly killed me in the Karachi Sheraton – I’ve never been so ill in my life.

Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription

To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below

Polls