Reply To: Food poisioning at 5 Star European hotel

Back to Forum

SwissExPat
Participant

Thanks for your good wishes, Thankfully Mrs SEP is fine but it did take 2-3 weeks for her to get back to full fitness.

I guess this episode highlights simply how vulnerable we are when out and about either on business or in this case relaxing and also how in all but the most serious incidents, how the odds are stacked against you when you do become a victim.

In this case, the hotel in question asked me for all the locations I had eaten in the last 4-5 days. It felt to me throughout the process, they were doing everything to point the blame at some other food provider.

That we had eaten exclusively at this property in the previous 36 hours essentially pointed to the hotel being responsible, at least with a high degree of probability.

Also during the remaining 3 days, most of the hotel staff enquired as to her welfare so the incident was widely know about. Also, me dining alone in the B’fast and lunch room for 3 days in a row and housekeeping having to work around a “patient’ confined to bed indicated the severity of the situation.

We will take up the offer of the 3 days back there. Definitely being a Diamond member escalated the incident and brought out a better solution.

However, I admit to being a bit offended/surprised in receiving a REGISTERED letter at my home address, essentially indicating that following their own lab test, they believed their food was not contaminated. I expect that this was to indicate that they would defend and liability claim I might make [not that I was going to since some compensation had already been offered and accepted]

The Hotel would have been quite happy for me to leave after the 6 days stay, and then to simply write to me indicating the “results” of their “investigation”, i.e nothing wrong with their food. It was only that I sought out the Hotel Manager during check out and told them that I was singularly unimpressed and would “take the matter further”. [meaning a strongly worded letter to Hilton Diamond dept]. I also indicated that they had access to my Hilton profile and could easily verify that I was not in the habit of seeking compensation from their hotels.

They only offered and comp 2 days later via email. Without my forceful protestations, I’d have been pawned off with nothing.

Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription

To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below

Polls