Reply To: Food poisioning at 5 Star European hotel

Back to Forum

SwissExPat
Participant

Unfortunately I have had an experience at a major hotel group where I am a Diamond [highest level] member for the last 3 years .The property was in the EU.

I and my wife stayed 6 nights at a premier level hotel in this global hotel group.

She became violently ill on the 4th night of our stay, within 3-4 hours of eating a room service order which included a sea food dish. Both she and I ate exclusively at the hotel for the previous 36 hours [dinner the evening before, b’fast, lunch and the room service order] although I did not have the clams which I believe were the cause of her illness.

I reported the incident to the hotel management the following morning for fear that other might be affected and also to log the issue.

She was confined to her room for the remainder of the 3 days but I did not make a huge issue of it until checking out.

The hotel did take details of all we had consumed and indicated that they would investigate. The person investigating [the Food and beverage manager] had all the receipts for our food consumption since our arrival in the hotel when I met him.

I had a very protracted conversation with the duty manager at check out who suggested that they would await the result of their own investigation. I indicated that this was not good enough and suggested that some ex gratia arrangement would be preferable to me since I did not have any confidence in the “Police investigation the Police”.

2 days after arriving home I received an email from the hotel offering a future 3 day stay there at their expense ‘to allow us to recover the 3 days lost”. I replied that this would be acceptable and would likely return later in the year.

4 weeks later I received a registered letter from the hotel indicating that their investigation found no contamination in the room service food served to us on our 4th night.

I realise that this is a very difficult issue to deal with. Hotels and restaurants offer food and beverage and 99% of the time, all is okay.

It is the 1% of the time when it goes wrong, I am wondering just how fairly the customer is treated/represented?

Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription

To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below

Polls