Reply To: Hotel Security Breach

Back to Forum

SimonRowberry
Participant

On a positive note about hotel security, I have two examples (both in Helsinki).

Shortly after Bill Clinton stayed at the (then) InterConti Helsinki (now the Scandic Continental) I was staying at the property and made a ight-hearted quip about the Pres and his stay (he was filmed being brought into the hotel in a wheelchair as he’d broken his leg).

I was told in no uncertain terms that “It is company policy not to reveal present or past guests, Sir.”

The hotel chain of choice, then, for anyone planning an extra-marital dirty weekend!

The cleverest bit of thinking regarding security was at the Hotel Kamp, again in Helsinki (part of Starwood’s Luxury Collection). I have posted this point before on another thread, for which I apologise.

Anyway, when hanging your room service breakfast card outside the door, you only write your room number and your initials. This is intentionally to prevent people who pass by in the corridor getting hold of a name and room number.

I don’t know whether this is procedure at any other Luxury Collection properties (I’ve not had room service breakfast at others and forgotten to look at the card to see if it’s the same system).

As far as the hotel in question in Manchester, it sounds like the sort of behaviour you’d expect from the Britannia.

As far the Sofitel on Collins, I think I stayed there when it was the Regent Melbourne. If so, then flyingfox is omitting a key point in his story, which enables me to well understand his ire. The reception is on the ground floor, but the rooms start at something like the 35th floor and, if memory serves, you sometimes have to change lifts at the bar and restaurant area on about the 32nd floor.

Simon

Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription

To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below

Polls