Reply To: Hotel Security Breach

Back to Forum

skyguy79
Participant

I cannot believe what I am reading .

Today I sent the below email to a hotel in Manchester

:

Dear Sir / Madam,

I wish to advise you of some goings on at the XXXXXXXXX Hotel.

As you may be aware this hotel has the cabin crew of xxxxxx Airlines staying there on a daily basis.

One of the crew who is my friend, arrived yesterday off a flight from XXXXXX.

As he wouldn’t have a UK / roaming mobile on him, I called the hotel reception to be connected to his room.

I was then advised of his room number despite the receptionist not really knowing who I was. I could have been anyone pretending to get a room number and this is a safety breach.

Furthermore when I actually got through to my friend ( Room XXX ) whilst we were talking, another of his colleagues called my friend’s room and was able to listen to part of our phone call and then apologised for disturbing us.

As you can appreciate, XXX are paying a lot of money for their staff to stay with yourselves on a daily basis. If I were to escalate this to XXX Head Office, then I can confidently say they would look to take their business elsewhere.

I thought I’d give you a heads up to brief your staff to never give out room numbers over the phone.

Also the issue with call interference must be looked at immediately.

I shall call the hotel in a few weeks and if I am given a room number during the call, then XXX Airlines will be contacted in XXXX.

Regards and best wishes ,

skyguymanchester

THIS IS MY RESPONSE FROM CUSTOMER SERVICES

Good Afternoon.

Many Thanks for your below email.

With regards to staff giving room numbers out over the phone this is perfectly fine, Staff on switchboard are there to pass calls on not to be a PA for the guest.

There is no security breach with regards to this.

With regards to the interference of calls we have received no complaints, I.T have checked the phone lines and everything is in perfect working order.

Many Thanks for your comments

Customer Services

I THEN REPLIED

What on earth ? Do you feel you have replied professionally and taken the time to really read my email ? How dare you patronise me and make me out to be a liar. What a loser

AND I THEN GOT

We will be in touch with XXXXXX AIRLINES to discuss them not using our hotel in future.

DOES ANYONE FEEL THIS DATA PROTECTION ISSUE IS ACCEPTABLE ?
WOULD YOU LIKE SOMEONE TO CALL YOUR HOTEL AND BE TOLD YOUR ROOM NUMBER ?
AER THE RESPONSES I HAVE HAD REASSURING IN ANYWAY OR REFLECTIVE OF GOOD CUSTOMER SERVICE ?

Does anyone feel the responses I have had are justified and acceptable and look like they ar ferom an organisation that cares about guest security ?

I am appalled to be quite honest.

Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription

To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below

Polls