Reply To: W Hotel Istanbul – Pretentiousness as an Art Form, or am I just too Old?

Back to Forum

SimonRowberry
Participant

VK – thanks for your comments on the Four Seasons properties. I was torn between the Four Seasons and the W, and now wish I’d chosen the former. As to the SPG website, you’re correct about the way the rates are displayed. I actually did book the W through the SPG site – I dread to think what the rack rate would’ve been!

Mr Brown – Interesting comments re other W’s – thanks. It seems that it’s an inconsistent brand.

Was there a W at Darling Harbour in Sydney about 10 years ago? I remember a ‘trendy’ hotel with a great upstairs ‘loft-type’ bar. There’s no W listed for Sydney these days.

I have stayed at the Hilton Istanbul a number of times over the last twelve months. It is a little staid, but it is solid, friendly, comfortable and reliable. The Executive Plus rooms with views of the Bosphorus are excellent – spacious and well-equipped. The Exec Lounge is also unusual amongst Hiltons in that it has an open bar (plus table service) for most of the day, not just a ‘cocktail hour’ (or two).

The ParkSA Hilton is also a good (and slightly cheaper) alternative, where I’ve stayed a couple of times. The rooms are smaller, and have no balconies, but it has just recently introduced an Exec Floor – the Exec Lounge is also very pleasant.

I just fancied a change last weekend from my usual hotels – seems like I made a bit of a cock-up!

Magazine Subscription
BTUK September 2017
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription

To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below

Polls