Reply To: W Hotel Istanbul – Pretentiousness as an Art Form, or am I just too Old?

Back to Forum

RBrown9
Participant

Interesting comments. I have stayed at three “W” hotels with mixed experiences. I loved the “W” in Seoul which might be described as “different” (not in a bad way – somewhat refreshing compared to the typical five star hotel experience. Also spent a wonderful four days at the W Resort in the Maldives which I could not fault.

However, the W Hotel, Times Square, New York was a big disappointment. It appeared to have simply been a (cheap) makeover of another hotel (perhaps the Westin) with the original fittings in the room complimented by tacky and often impractical cosmetic touches, useless gadgets and decor. The lobby area was dark and the surrounding bar area was consistently overcrowded (presumably with walk in clients wanting to experience the “trendy” bar!!). As for the “talent”, well they appeared to have simply changed their badges and their vocabulary but not attitude.

So different W Hotels and different experiences. From the sound of the W Istanbul, I will be looking at alternatives for my upcoming visit.

Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription

To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below

Polls