Reply To: W Hotel Istanbul – Pretentiousness as an Art Form, or am I just too Old?

Back to Forum

TominScotland
Participant

Simon, this was clearly an interesting experience. It reminds me of my experience a few months ago in the Hotel Bloom! (exclamation mark is part of the name….) in Brussels.

Hotel Bloom! is designed in a minimalist manner, with bedrooms highlighting style rather than use so that gadgets abound but simple things like easy access to light switches from the bed, are not there. I too faced a noisy night, located above the restaurant cum nightclub. At about 2AM I phoned down and Reception did not seem inclined to do anything for me, instead putting me though to the nightclub!! Here, they promised to turn the music down a bit …. I raised this next morning after a difficult night. I was told that I had requested a family room (untrue) and my request for a room change, while granted, was qualified by the somewhat odd comment that “This is a funky hotel, what do you expect?”. Other odd and “funky” things included brown plastic bags, containing sliced French bread, on tables at meal time (I was at a conference), allowing all to share their germs with fellow diners as they rummaged in the bag for bread.

I, too, am probably too old to understand the pleasure of “funky” hotels so its probably my problem, not that of the hotels….

Magazine Subscription
BTUK September 2017
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription

To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below

Polls