Reply To: W Hotel Istanbul – Pretentiousness as an Art Form, or am I just too Old?

Back to Forum

SimonRowberry
Participant

Hi all,

Just spent a very ‘interesting’ Saturday night at the W Hotel in Istanbul, which I thought others may find enlightening if they are tempted to use this Starwood brand.

I arrived at the hotel by cab, to be greeted by an army of similarly-dressed guys, who were all dressed in black. This was a little confusing, as most of the male clientele were also dressed similarly. Indeed, the only way one could tell whether the person was a member of staff was the presence of a small W badge on their jumper/jacket or whatever.

The lobby was dark and garish (yes, it can be both), and somewhat confusing – the Concierge was at the ‘Welcome Centre’, for example, which one could reasonably take to be the check-in desk. But it wasn’t. That was elsewhere in the darkened morass of the lobby.

In true W tradition, the rooms are categorised as Wonderful, Spectacular, Fabulous etc. I had booked a Spectacular room at the ‘bargain’ rate of EUR 260 plus taxes. I was upgraded to a ‘Mega’ room, which would have cost over EUR 300.

The room was, bluntly, decorated like a dodgy boudoir – garish mauves, purples and reds. There was no bath, but there was a large wetroom, which was fine. All the signs in the room were in W style – i.e. the message they were conveying was never clear. For example, there were 5 different light settings by the bed, marked ‘work’, ‘relax,’ ‘illuminate’ etc. However, I was never able to actually get the mix of lighting that I wanted. The TV was pointlessly located behind a glass screen. Which meant that the picture quality was terrible and it reflected any lights that were on. Pointless over-the-top interior desigbn touches that detracted from functionality (that pretty much sums the whole place up, actually).

At 03.30, I was still awake. One side of my room, and its window, abutted directly onto the smoking terrace of the bar, which had turned into an all-night disco. In short, I had to change rooms at 04.00, which is not the most satisfactory task to have to carry out. The new room was a Junior Suite, but it too was garish and not the least restful.

In short, not a successful night, and although I found the hotel staff charming and helpful, the property itself was just too avant-garde for me. For example, the staff are called ‘Talent’ – doors which, elsewhere, would be marked ‘Staff Only’ were marked ‘Talent Only’ – which I found incredibly pretentious. As for the clientele……

I don’t know whether it was my age, and I ask myself whether, if I was 25 years younger, I would have enjoyed it. If this is typical of W hotels, then I will resolutely avoid the brand in future. Whether or not it is typical, to sell a room, at a very high price, that is next to the smoking terrace of the hotel disco, is unacceptable. I should add that they made no attempt to compensate me in any way for the ruined night’s sleep. Indeed, room service breakfast cost me around GBP40…..

Simon

Magazine Subscription
BTUK September 2017
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription

To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below

Polls