Reply To: Hotel Cleaning Staff – To Tip or Not?Create Topic

Home Forums Accommodation Hotels Hotel Cleaning Staff – To Tip or Not? Reply To: Hotel Cleaning Staff – To Tip or Not?

wittkim
Participant

As an American, I’ve found this discussion thoroughly interesting. In the last several years, I have stayed well less than 100 days per year in a hotel and have only tipped once when a particular situation called for it. I am now transitioning into a job where I’ll be in a hotel more than 200 days per year and I have no intention of tipping the cleaning staff unless a unique situation presents itself (such as a toilet overflow or I pull too hard on the shower curtain).

While I understand those who post about wanting to tip those on the bottom of the food chain, I do not feel guilty about their position on that chain. If the cleaning staff is unhappy with their job, then it’s time to find another. I completely agree with the poster who thought about tipping a cleaning staff member, only to be disappointed in that person’s service the very next day.

I LOVE the Marriott hotel chain, but have found that the cleaning staff often leaves much to be desired, which leaves no room for a tip b/c no extra service was given.