Reply To: Gatwick North Terminal closed/evacuated – on 14/11

Back to Forum

TiredOldHack
Participant

MartynSinclair – we’ve rebooked to Puerto Rico, travelling one week later. The DR accommodation we had booked with BA was full the following week, and all they could offer was an inferior resort. So we’ve DIY’d accommodation and taken a partial refund.

On the minus side, my luggage is in the DR (it managed to fly unaccompanied, which raises some other questions) and my wife’s is at Gatwick. Sigh.

Insurance – I checked my policy, and expenses for delayed/cancelled/missed flights. BUPA Travel Insurance refused to pay for the National Express coach to LGW and the taxi back (dear old RMT stopped the Gatwick Express as well).

I pointed out that we weren’t delivered to our destination by NE, and it was impossible to access the North by any form of public transport as it was blocked.

She said she’d get back to me. Nope, sorry, no payout because shuttle buses and monorails do not count as public transport. My reply to that was: “How much more ****ing public can you get than a bus?” and I hung up. An acid posting on twitter has brought a swift response, though, so I live in hope.

And again, BA’s Gold service is fabulous.

EDIT: The fact that my bag made an unaccompanied journey after a very high security alert is, um, disconcerting. What say you?

Magazine Subscription
BTUK September 2017
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription

To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below

Polls