Latest update from BA:
Sharm el-Sheikh – Operational Update
Following additional information from the UK Government throughout Thursday 5 November concerning flights between the UK and Sharm el-Sheikh, British Airways has decided to resume flights from this part of Egypt.
We understand the current situation is difficult, but we are complying with the UK Government’s extra requirements and the safety and security of our customers and crew is always our top priority.
The following is the latest situation regarding British Airways’ services to/from Sharm el-Sheikh.
BA2560 departing from London (LGW) to Sharm el-Sheikh (SSH)
• 05NOV – Initially delayed for 24hrs, this flight has now been cancelled as a result of UK Government advice not to carry any further customers to the resort.
• 07/09NOV – departures are also now cancelled.
BA2561 departing from Sharm el-Sheikh (SSH) to London (LGW)
• 05NOV – will operate but now on Friday 06NOV and with significant extra security measures. Current timings are 1805/2150hrs.
• 07/09NOV – at present will operate as scheduled
• Advise customers to arrive early for these flights as the airport terminal is likely to be very busy
• Following UK Government requirements, customers departing from Sharm el-Sheikh must comply with the following :-
Customers will only be allowed to take two small pieces of hand luggage on board the aircraft with them. The maximum size of each piece will be 40cm by 30cm by 15cm (16in by 12in by 6inches).
One piece of hand luggage will be fitted under the seat in front and one piece will be placed in the overhead locker.
We suggest that these two bags contain all essential items such as telephone, keys, passport, medicines, money, camera, computer, childcare needs etc.
No larger hand luggage items will be allowed onto the aircraft.
The UK Government has informed all carriers that departing flights back to the UK will not be able to carry any hold luggage.
Customers will be able to check-in their hold luggage but it will NOT be allowed to travel on the aircraft. It will be stored in a secure location at Sharm el-Sheikh airport and the UK Government are making arrangements for this to be returned to customers in due course.
Ba.com will be updated with more information about the logistics of this process once they have been provided by the UK Government.
Customers will be asked to fill in a delayed baggage form on board the aircraft on their journey home, to help ensure that their bag is delivered to their home address as quickly as possible.
If customers have a child’s buggy, then this will be treated as hold luggage and will not be allowed to travel on the aircraft. We will provide extra buggies and customer service teams on arrival at Gatwick and are very sorry for the difficulties that this restriction will cause families.
• For cancelled flights, use rebooking/refund options from standard customer guidelines
• For customers on flights still operating, options available to change their travel date or choose an alternative destination – please refer to the customer guidelines
• Advise customers to keep checking ba.com for latest information
• Please advise departing customers from SSH of the above baggage requirements
• Customers need to arrive at SSH Airport for their flight departure in good time as it is likely to be extremely busy
• British Airways apologizes for the difficulties that customers are facing in Sharm el-Sheikh. We are doing all we can to minimize disruption at the airport, with extra teams from British Airways and our ground handlers in place to help customers.