Reply To: Which airports should be completely demolished and rebuilt?

Back to Forum

IanFromHKG
Participant

Oh canucklad, you have also hit the nail on the head. The original plan from Sir Norman was, I believe, the X-shape, with a significant element of future-proofing. So I don’t blame him. Who I *should* blame is a whole different (and very lengthy) story…

The only airports I can think of that I have genuinely enjoyed as an experience – but this is in the early days before they started being expanded – were Koh Samui, Hong Kong and Singapore (Changi). All have outgrown their original designs and become a lot more painful.

I should have included another one in my original list, though, which I loathe with a truly visceral hatred (because it was such an incredibly wasted opportunity) – Bangkok Suvarnabhumi. They had the ability to build a truly iconic, well-thought-out, efficient hub airport. Instead they built a complete mess with incredibly long walks required on every single trip I have taken from there or transit I have made through there. The check-in area is dire, the lounges are woeful, and I can’t think of a single thing about it that I like. And to think they started with a completely clean sheet, and not that long ago… At least some awful airports had the excuse that their original design was fit for purpose. Suvarnabhumi was a disaster from the very first day.

Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription

To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below

Polls