Reply To: Ultimate Airport Dubai television show

Back to Forum

AnthonyDunn
Participant

When this series was last discussed a month or so ago, it was pointed out by someone (not me) that all the “crises” have a particular habit of being sorted out entirely straightforwardly and with smiles all round. Never having flown Emirates, I am no position to comment either way whether that actually reflects the reality of flying with EK. The latter certainly does have the advantage of 24/7 operations, new equipment, a pliable, cheaper and non-unionised staff, full state backing and no historical pension liabilities (cf. “a pension fund with wings…” O’ Leary’s critique of BA….

It would be interesting to know whether or not the grunts fixing the runway lights or building the new runway are on quite the same expat terms as the mainly anglophone expats (from Oz, S Africa and the UK) who appear to run most of the operation. I rather suspect not.

Overall, the National Geographic production does actually show you really what does happen behind the scenes – beyond the application of lip-gloss in cabin crew training. it is a very well made, insightful and interesting production – in contrast to the utterly risible and lame production “a very British airline” made by Lion Productions for the BBC. That is a criticism of Lion Productions BTW – rather than BA.

For an alternative take on airports, “The Secret Life of the Airport” is worth watching:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLMVCfH1NZA

Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription

To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below

Polls