Reply To: LGW – UnimpressedCreate Topic

Home Forums Air Travel Airports LGW – Unimpressed Reply To: LGW – Unimpressed

TimFitzgeraldTC
Participant

I thought that there was a Flight Connections option at LGW (though from when I do get home I only ever see one or 2 signs for it and have never had to go through that process) – but I guess that there are fewer connection opportunities at LGW as it is becoming an LCC airport. Having never had the need to connect there – I wouldn’t know as LGW is my preferred airport as on my doorstep. I think technically LGW serves more destinations than LHR – just not generally one’s Business Travellers have a need to fly to.

Generally I think over the last few years the experience of LGW has certainly got much better with the new owners having invested in more & better security. Doesn’t mean it is perfect. Station is also better now that the new platform 7 is in play and looks like a lot more investment to come there in the next 5 years as well and new Gatwick Express trains on the way from the rubbish that is used at the moment.

LGW will always struggle as the US market see Heathrow as the London airport hence most US routes now into LHR. For that reason major carriers from the rest of the world will fly to LHR for passengers who do connect on (though now that people can connect easily with ME3 carriers this might diminish). If Americans realized that you can get quicker trains and a more regular service to the City from LGW than LHR then LGW may be stronger – but the LHR brand is just to powerful in the US.