Reply To: Schiphol airport’s €1bn plansCreate Topic

Home Forums Air Travel Airports Schiphol airport’s €1bn plans Reply To: Schiphol airport’s €1bn plans

Edski777
Participant

Henkel,

You just beat me to reply to VK on his idea about what is needed to create an award winning airport. I believe that, in line with for example HKG, it would have been a more wise decision to spend £14bn on a new airport in the Thames estuary or a bit further out in the Northsea.

Indeed they are now spending a lot of good money on a project that has very little future at the current location. A too densely populated area and nowhere near enough space available to expand to the required level to become truly world class.
Developing an airport requires a lot of planning and even more discussions, but it starts with a vision. So far I haven’t seen a real vision on the long term future of LHR, just scraps coming out of discussions or political opportunism. Not what the country, the airlines, related companies or the traveller needs.

Throwing money away is not a solution, its a sign of desperation. Hongkong did it right, just before the handback to the Chinese. They have a worldclass airport now. Most people that initiated this project are back in Britain. What’s against them doing the same trick again?

Your £14bn would help them on their way quite nicely VK.