Reply To: Schiphol airport’s €1bn plansCreate Topic

Home Forums Air Travel Airports Schiphol airport’s €1bn plans Reply To: Schiphol airport’s €1bn plans

MarcusUK
Participant

What travellers of all types experience now, is what they are concerned with. LHR has had constant bad press for one reason or another for years. Talk and statements of improvements, can only be measured with real outcomes, and that means investment. Too often, LHR has a crisis as in the winter weather, then has to purchase equipment others have, and develops strategies others are implementing already.

The runway capacity is an issue for Governments, and they have failed in the last and current to promote a clear concise strategy, from wherever that is funded. It must be lead with clear Leadership, direction, and timed to be tangible to even start.

The charges and levies continue, with overall fare differences now saving at least £300-400 per flight, for a business return out of AMS rather than LHR.
For a family travelling med / long haul in economy this amounts to around £1,000 saved.

Using frequent flyer mile redemptions, often two Business returns to the Far East, total taxes, levies, charges, exceed £900! No fare component at all! From AMS, this is less than £300 in total.
And do not forget, that Airlines such as Emirates and Etihad now fly from AMS, as well as many China based Airlines, so options for the Airline you want are nearly all from Schiphol now.

Further I have ditched LHR due to the unreliability of it, flights delayed coming in waiting for slots, no gates free, and then waiting up to 90 minutes to take off.
Often KLM flights running on time in the mornings to AMS are taking 1 hour to take off, and delay transfer passengers regularly through Schiphol.

Living in North London, i take LCY flights and hop to Schiphol in 45 min, with the greater consistency and reliability. The here and now is important, but delivery and a clear expectation from the travelling public, is what they want. Schiphol has and does offer this (as Edski mentions), constantly, whereas LHR simply does neither.
Every time i have to travel through it, I regret doing so, at every point of the Airports “Service”.