Reply To: Duty free prices at Heathrow T5Create Topic

Home Forums Air Travel Airports Duty free prices at Heathrow T5 Reply To: Duty free prices at Heathrow T5

Cedric_Statherby
Participant

I wonder if anyone else has noticed how the DF prices at Heathrow have increased recently.

I have a standard purchase every time I am flying outside the EU and until say 18 months ago it was £28 in the DF shops in T5 and £26 on BA flights. Not much in it and perhaps the greater range in the shops, plus the greater reliability that they would have it in stock, is worth the extra 7% or £2.

Since then Heathrow DF has raised the price 3 if not 4 times. The current comparison is £28 on a BA flight and £39.40 in T5 shops, a price differential of over 40%. When I observed this to the shop assistant I merely got the predictably inane answer that it was still cheaper than the High Street.

But the High Street is not Heathrow’s competition here – BA is, or the airports at the other end. For the record, the same item is now cheaper in high price Zurich Airport than it is at Heathrow – and costs a mere £10 in Hong Kong.

OK so the comparison with HK may not be fair. But has Heathrow never learned that one can be too greedy? They have certainly lost my custom for good.