To be fair, the working conditions and site safety is a lot better in the UK than in many other places, primarily because of EU law.
We have demonstrated we can deliver new infrastructure:
– a new runway arrived at Manchester with hardly a titter
– T5 had some opening hiccups but has been roundly celebrated as a success within the constraints of the site available (which would not be an issue at a greenfield site)
– The Channel Tunnel is a tremendous accomplishment
– The wind farms out in the Sea are impressive constructs
– The Olympic Park proves we can deliver large projects on time
– CrossRail is demonstrating our ability to deliver supporting infrastructure
So I would counter the usual refrain that the Brits can’t deliver; we can and we have – just look around you!
Who was it who designed and managed the construction of Hong Kong Airport, Beijing Airport…..?