Reply To: New Airport Contract signed-29 Billion

Back to Forum

azidane
Participant

Having worked in a few places around the world its pretty evident why other counties can complete mega-projects more timely and cheaply than we can here in the UK.

I have friends who are engineers, electricians, plumbers etc who work/have worked on London Underground, Crossrail, Heathrow T5, The Dome, The Olympics etc and knowing that some of them actually only do 2-3 hours a day actual work on site (one friend at the moment is a Electrician working on LU, he starts at 11pm and is normally back home by 2-3am and gets paid £250 a night) and from what I have heard this is not unusual at all and having refurbed properties myself I know that if I hire Polish/E European builders they generally dont have a tea break every half hour or spend a big part of the morning in the greasy spoon to then knock off for the day at 3.

In other parts of the world they can deliver mega-projects a lot quicker and cheaper as they have access to larger pools of workers who work incredibly hard for cheaper.

Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription

To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below

Polls