Reply To: New Buckinghamshire Airport

Back to Forum

JohnHarper
Participant

I must say I love this proposal. There is no doubt that London needs a new airport and while I’ve tended to favour the estuary option I’ve also maintained that further out up the Thames Valley would be a good option too. I had not thought of moving to the north of there.

This seems like an excellent solution all round, the airport is more central than the estuary and it can be extensive enough to cope with demand and there is still further room for expansion. I would actually favour starting with six runways rather than four.

There would be no slot issues and therefore the free market would reign with those offering quality at a reasonable price succeeding while the inferiour offerings for higher prices were done away with.

The whole business of aircraft movements being constrained by slots at one of the world’s busiest airports is actually anti-competative and against the Thatcher principles of a free market which I certainly still espouse.

Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription

To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below

Polls