Reply To: Extra runways at London airports

Back to Forum

AnthonyDunn
Participant

BA744fan:

Hi, having been involved (tangentially) all those years ago in the plans for the new HKIA, I well recall the mainland Chinese government’s objections to the project on the grounds that the colonial administration was plundering HK’s reserves before the handover… That HKIA is now planning a third runway shows what utter guff that was. Because it will involve yet more construction over the sea bed and its flight paths will be over water and away from populated areas, this makes planning such works rather simpler.

But neither HK (hence the demonstrations) nor Malaysia has a democracy in the way that we understand it and Thailand has had the odd ruction and military coup since I was last there as well. I think we’ve avoided that.

CharlesP/SimonS1:

Ministers propose, Civil Servants dispose. If ministers want things to happen, Civil Servants ensure that they do. If they don’t, it won’t. As Mr Michael correctly observes, it is all down to politics and that means you and me. And politicians are, despite what the meedjah say, frankly fairly ordinary and typical of what passes for the educated population – unpalatable though such a proposition might be.

Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription

To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below

Polls