Reply To: Why do I need to show a boarding pass when buying a magazine at the airport?Create Topic

Home Forums Air Travel Airports Why do I need to show a boarding pass when buying a magazine at the airport? Reply To: Why do I need to show a boarding pass when buying a magazine at the airport?

railwayman1
Participant

earlier this summer i thought that this practice was at last going to stop and Boots at stansted did change but shortly after this they stopped trading at stansted. not sure if this is temporary due to the on-going upgrade that the retail units are undergoing but WHS still seems to be checking BP’s. Just this weekend when returning through Dublin airport i went to get a newspaper and found that only the self service machines were in operation and none manning the till. i waited at the till to see if any staff would come over to serve me but to no avail. i therefore turned and left the newspaper back and left. i dont think WHS or others that insist on scanning BP’s before allowaing a purchase at airports will change until they are threatened with a law suit. i know some forum members will probably say that if we dont agree with their terms then they dont have to provide the service. theat may be the case on the high street where alternative options are available, however i would argue that at airport departure lounges where passengers are effectively captive then there should be a responsibility on the service provider not force the surrender of personal data against their wishes. i may be wrong but dont the aiports ( im thinking specifically Heathrow for one) get government funding to assist in the development of their premises which in a way means by us the tax payer. therefore we should have some rights when it comes to whether companies like WHS should be granted trading licences when they behave like this.