Reply To: Security – Heathrow

Back to Forum

SimonRowberry
Participant

The only time this ever happened to me was at Bucharest Otopeni in the early 90s, when you had to go through security when arriving at OTP (i.e. when getting off the bus from the plane). The security guy was very blatant and asked, with a grin on his face, “Pistol?” I thought the best course of action was to look straight ahead with absolutely no reaction and say nothing, rather than smash his bloody face in, which was my natural reaction.

A “woman” who looked like a member of a Eastern Bloc Women’s Shot Putting Team proceeded then to blatantly grope my wife. Again, nothing was said as these folks had AK47s and it was Romania, immediately post-Ceaucescu.

I can’t say that anything as bad as that has happened anywhere since. I have had a couple of fairly intense inside leg checking experiences once or twice and have got away with asking “Was that good for you too?”

The weirdest security I went through recently was at Valencia, where the table you unpacked your laptop etc and collected the tray was physically separated from the Xray machine by a glass screen. This meant that you collected the tray, put your stuff in it and then had to carry it about 10 metres, wait with it in your arms until the scanner was clear, and then place it on the rollers. Very odd…

Simon

Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription

To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below

Polls