Reply To: What went wrong at ZRH today

Back to Forum

LuganoPirate
Participant

I arrived in Zurich from JNB at 6.05, 4th to land with two aircraft directly behind us. On reaching the train that connects E pier to the transit, there must have been over 400 people waiting. We had another 5 minutes to wait and people were zooming down those escalators non-stop.

By the time the train arrived there must have been over 800 people waiting. You can imagine the scrum that followed as people literally fought to get on. One pax remarked “it’s worse than Tokyo”!

Amazingly no-one was there to assist and two policemen who disembarked did nothing to help maintain order. I was lucky being first on (by knowing exactly where the doors are) so watched as people pushed and shoved. One man lost his glasses, another woman was separated from her case and could then not get off to retrieve it!!! A family with two young children were having a really hard time as the little girl was almost trodden on, thankfully rescued by someone else who lifted her up.

I was amazed and shame on Zurich Airport which is normally so well run, for allowing a situation like this to develop.

Shame also on the police who must have realised what would happen and did nothing.

But the biggest shame must go to the hundreds of passengers who were so selfish and uncaring in such a situation and who were not wiling to wait a few minutes for the next train. (they anyway had to wait to clear immigration).

Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription

To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below

Polls