Reply To: LHR Snow Disruption – Jan 2010 Views

Back to Forum

VintageKrug
Participant

It’s an appallingly worded email from WW.

If it was my PR who had approved it, they would be busy (mis)reading their P45 right now.

I do think this will have most serious consequences for BAAplc. I hope they address the issue of the Scottish airports, which was fudged under the last government, and make BAA sell of at least one of its LHR terminals to eliminate their monopoly at the airport.

But let’s very very clear that some level of disruption was suffered by most snow affected airports (Amsterdam, Frankfurt and Paris were particularly hard hit); the initial impact was more or less the same, it was a combination of Heathrow’s structural issues (limited stand capacity and having just two runways) coupled with exceptionally cold temperatures, a particularly busy travel weekend and UK regulations which prohibit landing on anything other than fully clear runways (personally, I wouldn’t like to land on anything else, but some people think the CAA are overly cautious on this point) which was all exacerbated by poor preparedness and underinvestment on the part of BAA.

Thankfully, BA’s decision to stop flying on Saturday minimised the numbers of BA passengers left stranded in the terminals.

Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription

To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below

Polls