Reply To: How Much Cash do you Carry?Create Topic

Home Forums Air Travel Airports How Much Cash do you Carry? Reply To: How Much Cash do you Carry?

CMBurchhardt
Participant

I travel with as little cash as possible. About USD$ 30 in small notes as tips, a bit of small change for tolls and the rest is plastic. With ATM’s in nearly every major and not so major city, I have no reason to carry more than the equivalent of £100.

HOWEVER – having just returned from Asia and seeing my bank statement, I made 3 cash withdrawals in Thailand from ATM machines and have been charged equivalent of about £5 per withdrawal, thats made up of commission (varies on amount requested) + standard ATM fee of £2.24. Yes it hurts, but I put that amount down to foreign travel expenditure and yes it is wholly, necessarily and exclusively needed for my business purposes.

There may be a preference for carrying cash to avoid the ATM charges and exchange rates, but the reality is that we are moving to a cashless society and whereas £3000 may seem an “acceptable” amount to carry, it is not a “necerssary” amount to carry.