Reply To: Heathrow Terminal 3

Back to Forum

Binman62
Participant

Inquisitive – ………………T5 BA South business lounge entry is an idiotic design – one has to go down and up for entry and exit so many times – I wondor everytime what was the state of the mind of the designer of the lounge or the terminal.

For this you can blame the BAA.

I know that BA fought and fought and fought to have direct access to the south lounge pavilion for years during the planning and construction phase of T5. BAA refused and the reason they did so was to ensure that the well healed walked past their over priced shops. The next time you are in T5, look carefully at the type and name of shop and where it is in relation to the entrance to lounge pavilion. Gucci / Prada / Tiffany / Coach to name but four.. At the other end by domestic you get WH Smith Tie rack and junk food. Say it all. BA have some of the wealthiest passengers in the world and draw them from the southeast of England which itself is one of the wealthiest places in the whole of Europe. That is why BA wanted direct access and why the BAA stood firm.

The BAA simply has not, and still do not care about the passenger experience in my view. They are shop keepers first and foremost, not airport operators.

BA in the end spent millions to obtain the famous door on the right that provides direct entry from security to the Concorde Room. It is used by First Class ticket holders and premier card holders only. It is a door for heads of State, potentates, rock stars as well as those with mileage redemption tickets…..gold cards do not cut it here.

………….. You have to try some time…especially with kids, wearing jeans and no shoes…..as I did recently. (I had to take the shoes off at security)

4 First class tickets £10 grand…..look on the reception staffs faces……priceless!!

Magazine Subscription
BTUK September 2017
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription

To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below

Polls