Reply To: Airline and Airport Staff Attitudes

Back to Forum

SimonRowberry
Participant

It sounds very reasonable, N.

As I’ve said, it is always very dangerous to generalise. On top of my cultural theory, you of course have to overlay the fact that, to quote Brian in “Life of..’, we are of course, all individuals, and our own physiology and psychological traits obviously are a major factor on our own behaviour as individuals.

Training is, of course, a very major issue and I’m forever stressing its importance with my clients when we are undertaking change programmes. It’s the old ‘freeze-change-refreeze’ theory, and it’s the ‘refreeze’ bit which, as I’m sure you know all to well, that is often the most difficult stage.

I too (as someone who meets all of Airpocket’s criteria) have had excellent service from people who are from a totally different background to me (or so it seemed) and yet been treated like dirt by those who (prima facie) are a close social and cultural match. It’s down to the individual at the end of the day, I guess.

As I’ve said elsewhere, I tend not to use BA because I can’t chose my premium seats in advance, being an AY tier member within OneWorld, rather than BA. However, I will say this in defence of BA: from my limited experience of them (around 10-12 flights a year), I’ve not had the negative experiences of cabin crew that others have. Perhaps I’m just lucky, but I also tend to treat them as equals (as I do in hotels) within a two-way partnership. This attitude has usually resulted in a positive response. On some other airlines (like TK – see elsewhere), such a positive attitude has met with aggression. It is on occasions like that when I see the cultural dimension kick in.

Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription

To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below

Polls