Reply To: Worst Major Airport in Europe?

Back to Forum

SimonRowberry
Participant

Airpocket – the staff at VIE are as generally mixed as at any Airport (having to deal with idiot pax like us every day, I guess). However, the staff in the bars, shops, restaurants seem to have a surlier approach in general than at most airports. The airline and security crew seemed fine, though.

The biggest issue with VIE for me is that it looks great on plan – shaped like a snail shell when seen from above, yet it doesn’t work well ergonomically. When you add to the mix the fact that the signing isn’t clear, it’s a bit of a nightmare. It’s the kind of airport where the signs to the shops visually dominate the signs for airport use – you know what I mean, those signs that tell you things of little commercial value, like where the bloody gates are!

On a related point. I’ve noticed elsewhere a debate (e.g. re Kuwait Airlines) about airline crew surliness where a few of you (including Airpocket) have been accused of being anti certain parts of the world and it seems that if we suggest that a certain nation has a predominant socio-cultural attitude which may tend to typify their behavioural norms in terms of maters like customer service, this is seen as unacceptable, or racist.

An observation of how these socio-cultural trends can work both ways: I recently went to a concert at Wembley Arena. Everyone I dealt with, from the car park, box office, through security to the people who served in bars and showed you where your seat is, were fantastic. Really, really helpful. Yet not one of these was British. They were either Antipodean and Continental European. The contrast was highlighted at the break when I went for a vastly over-priced hot dog and it was served to me by one of the surliest, least customer-focused people I’ve ever had the misfortune to be served by. She was utterly disinterested, preferred to talk to her friends on her mobile, and practically threw the food at me. She was British. Interesting comparison of attitudes, although we often seem to forget in this Forum that it’s hard to generalise as it’s always down to the individual and their own values (and, folks, that includes us as pax too!).

Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription

To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below

Polls