Reply To: BA Executive Club changes

Back to Forum

Bath_VIP
Participant

Having looked at the details, I can broadly summarise the changes as follows.

Redemptions
– More avios needed to redeem long haul premium
– Same or fewer avios to redeem short haul
– Fewer avios needed to redeem off peak economy

Earnings
– Fewer avios earned for inflexible fares in Econ & WT+
– More avios earned for premium flexible fares
– BA silver earning bonus cut

All in all, I can see that the changes address a number of inconsistencies that used to exist. Put it this way, if you started with a blank piece of paper, you would probably end up with something like this.

Taken together then, if you are earning avios on flexible fares and are happy to redeem in short haul and/or economy, then you are better off. If you are earning on inflexible fares and looking to redeem on long haul premium (i.e. like me!) then you are clearly worse off. Obviously not good news for me but the financial logic does make sense to me having worked on the mathematics of travel loyalty in the past. I can only assume that BA has figured out that the former outweighs the latter in their customer base.

The one point I can’t work if it has changed is the avios needed for upgrades from premium to business. This has always been the best value element of the whole program and is the main way I redeem avios. if this hasn’t changed then the effect on me may be less than first thought.

Magazine Subscription
BTUK September 2017
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription

To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below

Polls