Reply To: Priority baggage handling for BAEC Gold/Silver?

Back to Forum

flydrive
Participant

Does anyone know the actual policy for priority baggage handling tags for BAEC Gold/Silver flying economy? I’ve taken a dozen or so flights with checked luggage in the past year on BA and the agent always tagged my checked luggage with a priority label, even though flying economy. Yesterday at T5 gold/silver check-in, I had three different stories: first the agent told me no, it is only for first/business passengers, and she refused to tag my bag. After, I spoke to her colleague, who told me yes, I am entitled to priority baggage handling (but too late as my luggage was long gone). After a snafu at security which sent me back to the check-in desks, I asked a third staff member, who told me she didn’t know, but it doesn’t matter anyway as priority is only given to first/business class passengers which the “system” recognises with or without the priority label. (I personally find any “system” suspect at Heathrow, but that is what she said.)

So what’s the truth? Are the labels purely for show and I shouldn’t waste my energy or should I insist on this “perk”? I went back to look at the BA website, and curiously it is coy about this benefit for silver or gold members, and refers only to business/first check-in rights and priority arrival baggage services (whatever that is), and does not refer to priority tagging and handling. If anyone knows, I’d be grateful, and perhaps BA staff can learn as well.

The irony is that on arrival, my ordinary tagged, economy class bag was one of the first on the belt!

flydrive

Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription

To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below

Polls