Reply To: BA drops Anytime Access for Gold cardholders

Back to Forum

Senator
Participant

Dear all,

Perhaps a slightly different point of view:
1. The world has changed – air travel tremendously. Legacy carriers like BA, SAS, LH, AF/KLM, UA, and AA have increasing competition from the bottom (LLCs) and from the top (Middle-East carriers)
2. Once upon a time, flag carriers were asked by governments to provide service to remote places as a part of regional development policies. Today, no such pressure is put on these carriers, and they get to pick the commercially viable routes only. Therefore, it looks to me that BA has decided that their core market is the Greater London area, and have de-focused from other markets across Great Britain
3. We as consumers and business leaders have reaped great benefits from the liberalisation of air travel. Gone are the days of inclusion of weekend travel to get a reasonable fare for business travel. The cost of a ticket to the US is the same in 2011 currency as it was in 1993 currency
4. A well-managed business is one that balances the “Senator’s Holy Trinity of Stakeholders”: Customers, Employees, Shareholders. I know some may claim BA is not balancing these three yet. Thus, my sentiment is with BA on this. I do however, expect there is a trade-off to for example improved meals on-board etc
5. Change is always painful, especially when it is perceived that one is worse off. I would look at the bright side; today we are able to get great fares for our travel needs
6. From my home market, I could obtain a BA Gold card for a mere £2850 with some planning. It would be 10 tickets on BA from ARN-LHR in CE purchased with 30 day advance and weekend included.

Our American friends have a euphemism: “There are only two certainties in life – death and taxes”. I would like to add my own certainty: “change”. Things change, and we should balance out the good with the bad. However, how you communicate change is critical. By the looks of things, BA did a poor job on this one.

Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription

To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below

Polls