Reply To: UK citizen / US resident – which loyalty scheme to choose?Create Topic

Home Forums Air Travel Frequent flyer programmes UK citizen / US resident – which loyalty scheme to choose? Reply To: UK citizen / US resident – which loyalty scheme to choose?

MartynSinclair

Maxmcgeorge – would you mind if I asked you to refer to the social security card by its full name – I get shivers down my spine each time I read it the way you describe it. Just a favour, many thanks.

It really is more of a case of the institutions prefer you to have a social security number becasue they dont know how to deal with you if you dont have one. Its generally quite easy, just show/use another form of ID.

The problem comes though, if what you are applying for is illegal for a non resident alien to own. An example would be that a Brit, with his USA bank account (quite legit to have) wants to buy mutual funds (no can do). But a Brit wanting a credit card, it allowable, its just you have to get one issued and go through the hassle of explaining that a a non resident, you will not be issued with a social security number.

To show u how strict (or stupid) the Americans are, I tried to get my original social security card replaced as it was torn. I phoned in, thankfully i had not given my number becasue I was told as there was no valid reason for me to have a social security number, it would be removed from the system and cancelled out of the system.

You would actually think that the Americans would prefer me to use a social number as it does enable my activities in the states to be tracked.

Back to Angela……………………………..