Reply To: Is Star Alliance Silver the biggest joke in the industry?Create Topic

Home Forums Air Travel Frequent flyer programmes Is Star Alliance Silver the biggest joke in the industry? Reply To: Is Star Alliance Silver the biggest joke in the industry?

ScottWilson
Participant

*A Silver like I said before is largely worthless, but then many *A carriers have a tier beyond *A Gold that only they recognise for special privileges. This is something OW has over *A.

VK: I get lounge access without flying the carrier on which I have status, I always get *A Gold lounge access regardless of the *A carrier I am on, although the better perk would be lounge access regardless of the flight.

As far as slopey business class beds are concerned, with *A can avoid this on SQ, AC, NZ, UA, BD, SA and soon CO. 7 out of 21 long haul carriers. For OW it is BA, CX and QF (3 out of 11), for ST it is just DL. Although to be fair, consistently flat beds in long haul business class is rare with all bar BA and SA.

Genuine premium economy?
Star Alliance: NZ, SK, NH, BD
OneWorld: QF, BA, JL,
Skyteam: AF
I don’t count KL or UA as genuine premium economy.

Given *A carriers have the best premium economy hard product (BD) and soft product (NZ), again I don’t think OW or ST can claim accolades here.

*A Gold lounge vary wildly admittedly, but I doubt any alliance can claim accolades across the board. I’d argue the best food selections can be seen in Asia/Australasia across SQ, QF, NZ, CX. Lounges across North America and Europe are mostly dire to ordinary, with glaring exceptions for the likes of LH 1st class FRA, VS T3 Clubhouse and BA’s Concorde Room.