Reply To: Humour at Homeland Security

Back to Forum

ffidrac
Participant

A few years ago, the officer asked me the question what work do you do. So I replied I’m a doctor.
That evoked the question, what sort of doctor – to which I replied a colorectal surgeon.

Rather than being being put off by the reply, the officer then started to tell me about their haemorrhoids, asking me what was the best treatment for them, should they have surgery. The immigration process then turned into a full blown medical conversation with the officer, with me gesticulating in trying to explain the nuances of living with haemorrhoids and their anatomy.

The line behind could see that I was somewhat expressive with my hands and that there was an earnest conversation going on between the office rand myself
The next person in line caught up with me at the baggage carousel and said that I appeared to be having a hard time with the officer, and everyone was getting concerned that they would be subjected to a grilling. Maintaining what was now patient confidentiality, I shrugged it off, with them not knowing that in fact it was me who had the control of the situation

So I was able to have a ‘pile’ of laughs later when I caught up with my fellow surgeons at the meeting I was attending!

Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription

To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below

Polls