Reply To: Air marshalls on all US carrier into USA… a step too far?

Back to Forum

Wildgoose
Participant

My ‘deleted’ post wasn’t “sniping” at a poster. I don’t actually want to take unprovoked potshots at posters, especially ones who make sound points and feel strongly about issues (as do I, obviously).

The points I made, albeit passionately and strongly, were as follows:

1) that entry to the UK for some nationals (I’m talking here about thorugh vetting of visa applicants) from countries with abundant petrodollars (read Saudi Arabia) is far too easy. Do we know how many may have slipped through MI5/MI6’s net?

2) that the UK Government seems far too in awe of the Saudis (al Yamamah anyone? At least the US Justice Department doesn’t care about such things and prosecute, regardless of how close the Bush family were to the Saudi royal family).

3) that there should be thorough checks on British nationals of Pakistani origin who spend too much time on “summer internships for al Qaeda/The Taliban in the NWFP and Afghanistan”.

As far as political solutions to terrorism go, this is an argument for a thread on The New Statesman or The Economist!

However, I will say that certain problems, such as ‘Af-Pak’, are unsolveable and it is only a matter of time before the Government in Islamabad is toppled, either by the Army or by the Taliban.

My comments, from time to time, don’t observe niceties of protocol and are irreverent but, would you have me any other way? :o)

Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription

To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below

Polls