La Compagnie leases A340 from Hi-Fly for Luton-New York route

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 43 total)

• Anonymous

AMcWhirter
    Participant

As we reported in February, French airline La Compagnie recently launched a x3 weekly service between Luton and New York Newark using an all-business class B757 with 74 seats.

http://www.businesstraveller.com/news/101258/la-compagnie-launches-all-business-flights-to-n

Now comes news that, for the past few days, La Compagnie has been operating an A340-300 on the route. The aircraft in question has been leased from Hi-Fly.

Mystery surrounds the reason for the substitution. It may be something simple like routine maintenance as La Compagie was using a single B757 to operate two transatlantic routes (one from Paris, the other from London).

But one wonders about the seating arrangements on the replacement aircraft.

It’s believed that the Hi-Fly plane has three-class accommodation with 12 seats in first and 42 in business.

So are all passengers booked in the premium cabins (with economy class empty) or are some ending up in economy cabin ? Or has La Compagnie changed the configuration on this leased aircraft ?

Details of the Hi-Fly A340-300

http://www.hifly.aero/en/a340/cs-tqy

It is unclear for how long the aircraft substitution will be in place.

TimFitzgeraldTC
    Participant

My guess is that loads are so low, that the economy cabins are redundant on this plane and they can fit everyone into the Business / First Cabin as they can accommodate up to 54 people.

HiFly have also recently been used on Manchester – Cancun services (and other routes) for Thomas Cook.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Thanks for the feedback, Tim.

That was the impression I had gained too. That if not more than 50 passengers were originally booked on the B757 then they could easily be accommodated on the Hi-Fly A340 in the premium cabins.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

This particular aircraft was bought by Singapore Airlines then leased to Emirates,so the three cabin configuration is not surprising.

I’m just surprised that anyone would attempt this sort of service after so many failures before it. I also wonder if they will offer First seating to those on board for a premium. At least that would bring in some extra revenue for no extra cost.

mkcol74
    Participant

It would be interesting if they had a “flash sale” for economy seats too!

AMcWhirter
    Participant

On its Twitter page, the airline says the substitution is owing to “aircraft maintenance.”

The B757 was supposed to re-enter service yesterday …but it never did.

So once again the A340 appeared. I don’t know about the situation today.

andystock
    Participant

What’s the betting we have another maxjet, silver jet, eos here!

rodders
    Participant

my colleague used it last week, flight was cancelled with a few days notice requiring her to travel a day earlier, so will see her report next week when she returns, but not the most auspicious start…..

rferguson
    Participant

OK now i’m confused – I read an interview with the CEO that stated that one of the reasons they are able to offer such cheap fares is because they have only three cabin crew on each 74 seat 757. They are going to need a minimum of eight on an A340.

DontTurnRight
    Participant

The seating plan clearly shows an ex Emirates seating config and as speculated, it looks like they are only using the business class and first sections.. Would have thought it would have been cheaper to book passengers on other airlines flights, instead of leasing this aircraft. Will be surprised if they see the year out!

LuganoPirate
    Participant

But would they need 8 if only flying with 74 pax Rferguson?

rferguson
    Participant

If they are under european EASA laws they will Lugano as the ruling is per passenger seats on the aircraft as well as how many doors on a widebody – not how many passengers they will be carrying..

There are circumstances where airlines can on an ad hoc basis reduce the amount of cabin crew carried by ‘zone closures’. Say due to more than the legal minimum crew going ill downroute or such. Perhaps La Compagnie could/have applied for a dispensation.

Do we know if the lease is a wet or dry lease? If it’s a wet lease i’d imagine HiFly would supply the crew anyway.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Thanks Rferguson, that explains it.

I think I read it’s a wet lease from BBAM.

rferguson
    Participant

Wow – that must be costing them a LOT.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 43 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls