BA short-haul 767s to Dublin?

Back to Forum
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

• Anonymous

BA744fan
    Participant

Assuming Ryanair agree to sell their shares in EI and IAGs takeover goes through, could BA extend the lives of their SH 767 fleet by using some on the Irish flights?

Seems an obvious choice of metal where EI and BA will be doubling up on frequency and would free up valuable slots at Heathrow.

SimonS1
    Participant

A very good point there. A great chance to use larger planes and free up capacity for other activities.

The only fly in the ointment is the apparent commitment to keep the airlines separate.

Are bigger machines used on Spain flights now?

conc001
    Participant

I don’t think the terms of the take over make this possible. EI must keep all its heathrow to Ireland slots for seven years.

AisleSeatTraveller
    Participant

solution, BA bases a 777 fleet (2 to 4 aircraft, perhaps branded as Irish) in Dublin to operate transatlantic services (in place of a couple of services from LHR to NYC) and rosters larger aircraft on the EI LHR-Dublin service

AndrewinHK
    Participant

The agreement doesn’t say anything about BA giving up its own slots on the LHR to Dublin route. EI will use its a330 to up capacity like Iberia use a330/340 on some of the Madrid- LHR routes. BA will use 767,a321 maybe 777 on occasion.

Str8Talking
    Participant

On a recent flight to LCA, I had an interesting conversation with the crew about the 767s being gradually replaced by A321s on the route, and one of them mentioned the potential deployment of A350s on European routes. Now I don’t know how clued up he was in terms of aircraft utilisation plans, whether he heard rumours or whether he was just being hopeful… As far as I’m aware BA has orders for A350-1000; I seriously cannot see an aircraft of that size and range being configured and/or used for European flights. But interesting nonetheless.

SimonS1
    Participant

@conc001

Not sure it means EI giving up slots. Couldn’t it be done as a code share? For example put on a 777 under an EI slot and then redeploy some of the BA slots to other things.

That way you get the best of several worlds – feed traffic into Dublin, maintain a decent frequency and also free up capacity.

At a time when LHR is full to capacity I would have thought anything which sees a small aircraft replaced by a big aircraft in the same slot would be welcome.

Flightlevel
    Participant

Precisely, EI uses its LHR slots for 330’s & onward flights to U.S,having cleared immigration @ DUB,releasing BA slots for other destinations.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls