Korean Air is rolling out a selection of new inflight wines on its Incheon-London route this month.
Business Traveller visited Seoul earlier this month and got the chance to test out the new wine selection alongside the carrier’s Korean-style vegan meals at the Korean Air Catering Centre.
Las year the flag carrier and its sommelier Sang Jun Lee collaborated with wine consultant Marc Almert, awarded “World’s Best Sommelier” in 2019 by the International Sommelier Association, to taste, evaluate and select a total of 50 wines from a long-list of 900 wines.
The sommeliers considered the cabin environment during the flight and the pairing of the wines with inflight meals when selecting the wines.
The final selection on the Seoul-London route includes 14 bottles from Australia, Austria, France, Germany, Italy, Spain and the US.
First class passengers are offered a choice of seven wines, while those in business class (Prestige) can pick from five bottles. The economy cabin, meanwhile, will offer the choice of a white and red wine.
The selection includes seven vegan-friendly wines, in keeping with the special inflight menu.
The new wines will be available onboard until June 1, after which the cycle will rotate. Several of the wines are also available on the Los Angeles, New York and Paris routes from Seoul Incheon airport.
Marc Almert said:
“It was a huge task selecting the wines from so many fine options on the long list. The cabin pressure and a drier environment can distort the taste of some wines and we took this into consideration and chose fruity and aromatic wines that can perfectly compliment the inflight cuisine.”
Korean Air recently won a bronze medal for the First Class Best-Presented Wine List in Cellars in the Sky 2022 awards.
See the wines served on the Seoul-London route below.
- Champagne: Henri Giraud MV18 (multi-vintage), France
- White wines: Merryvale Silhouette Chardonnay 2020, California (vegan); Weingut Robert Weil Kiedrich Turmberg Riesling Trocken 2021, Rheingau, Germany (vegan)
- Red wines: Shafer TD-9 2019, California; Murdoch Hill The Phaeton Pinot Noir 2022, Adelaide Hills, Australia (vegan); Bodegas Arzuaga Navarro Arzuaga Reserva 2019, Ribera, Spain
- Dessert wine: Chateau Guiraud 2002, Sauternes, France
Business class (Prestige)
- Champagne: Charles Heidsieck Brut Millesime 2013, France (vegan)
- White wines: Château de Chantegrive Caroline 2018, Bordeaux, France; Tegernseerhof Grüner Veltliner Bergdistel Smaragd 2017, Wachau, Austria (vegan)
- Red wines: Dandelion Vineyards Lionheart of the Barossa Shiraz 2020, Syrah, Australia; Speri Valpolicella Classico Superiore Sant’urbano 2019, Veneto, Italy (vegan)
- White wine: Laroche L Chardonnay 2022, Pays d’Oc, France
- Red wine: Banfi Col di Sasso Toscana IGT 2021, Tuscany, Italy (vegan)